Why it matters
The idea is to highlight the stock location of the the next item to pick in a picking list so the picker can quickly identify where to go in the warehouse. This scenario is specially useful for temporary workers that are hired for campaigns on short notice and are not yet familiar with the warehouse thus saving costs in training and picking time.
Also, Augmented Reality is predicted to be one of the next multi-billion dollar industries in five years from now, so this is one of the learning steps I am taking in that direction.
Preview the demo
To preview the demo on your device (PC, Mac, iPad, Android) follow these instructions:
- Print the following satellite picture in full page or bigger, and place it on a flat surface; that will be the trackable AR marker:
- Install the Junaio Augmented Reality Browser app on your device (from junaio.com for PC/Mac, from the App Store for iPad, or from the Google Play Store for Android).
- Open the app and click Scan.
- Scan the following QR code; Junaio Browser will identify the QR code, and will download the resources from my channel ThibaudWarehouse3D:
- Point your device’s camera towards the printed satellite picture. Junaio Browser will track the satellite picture and will register the warehouse 3D accordingly. Here is a screenshot of the result:
How I built it
The creation process is simple.
I used my previous 3D model of a warehouse with racks, aisles, levels, and boxes that I had created in SketchUp for a demo three years ago. I removed the walls and roof. I removed unnecessary 3D elements that slow down the 3D rendering pipeline on iPad. And I hard-coded an arbitrary box in red.
Here is a video of the entire creation process and preview:
That was how to create a simple Hello World demo of Augmented Reality for M3 using a 3D warehouse and Metaio Creator to highlight the stock location of the next item to pick in a picking list to save training time and picking time.
In a future version, I will un-hard-code the red box, and I will highlight it programmatically using Metaio SDK.
That’s it! Like. Comment. Subscribe. Share. Author.